The Scientific and Technical Advisory Panel (STAP) of the Global Environment Facility is currently accepting applications for two positions from highly qualified candidates with outstanding academic and technical credentials, and a passion for advancing and improving the science/policy interface, in the areas of BiodiversityÂ and Chemicals.
The successful candidate must have:
- An advanced degree, preferably a PhD in a field directly related to the position;
- Minimum 15 years experience in scientific research â€“ and the application of results to real-world issues;
- Ability to work cross-sectorally in areas of importance related to their field of expertise;
- Capable of bridging scientific, technological, and policy issues;
- Capable of linking bio-physical and economic, socio-economic/sociocultural issues;
- Experience working in developing countries and in the context of multi-lateral environmental assistance;
- Demonstrated ability to manage scientific research undertakings involving multiple stakeholders;
- Excellent communication skills, orally or written.
- Understanding of the assigned GEF focal area, its strategic objectives, and linkages with other GEF focal areas is an asset.
- Extensive access to scientific networks, and demonstrated ability to engage these networks;
- Demonstrated expertise and leadership in one of the thematic areas noted above, supported by (but not restricted to) the candidateâ€™s peer-reviewed publication record;
- Knowledge of the scientific processes required for the implementation of relevant conventions in developing countries for which the GEF supports.
A STAP Panel Member is expected to provide 60 to 90 days per year to the work of STAP. Remuneration is based on UN scales for senior consultants. A full description of responsibilities, and application forms, are available at: http://www.stapgef.org/notice-of-recruitment-biodiversity-and-chemicals-waste-panel-members-2014/. Applications along with a cover letter should be sent to Recruitment.STAPGEF@UNEP.org, quoting the relevant vacancy reference number in the subject line of your email. All applications should be sent on or before the deadline of 31 January 2014.